The Law Library Staff prepares "Research Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs) for the convenience of our users to provide access to a variety of sources addressing particular points of law. These are general legal information sources, and are not to be construed as a substitute for personal legal advice from an attorney. Please seek legal counsel to help you determine the applicability of any of the information in these resources to your specific situation. The Law Library makes no recommendation as to whether you should purchase any services offered by the websites contained in this FAQ.
OHIO’S WRONGFUL DEATH STATUTES:
OHIO PROBATE FORMS:
RULES OF SUPERINTENDENCE FOR THE COURTS OF OHIO:
- Rule 70 (on settlement of wrongful death claims)
- Cuyahoga County Rules of the Court of Common Pleas, Probate Division: Rule 71.2 (Counsel fees)
DEFINITION OF WRONGFUL DEATH:
FREE LEGAL INFORMATION ON WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIMS:
BOOKS THAT MAY BE AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY:
- Damages in Tort Actions (Matthew Bender, 1982- ).
- Merrick-Rippner Probate Law (Thomson/West, 2008).
- Anderson’s Ohio Probate Practice and Procedure (Anderson Pub. Co. 1990- ).
- David Ball, David Ball on Damages: A Plaintiff’s Attorney’s Guide for Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Cases (National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 2001).
- Stuart Speiser, Recovery for Wrongful Death and Injury: Economic Handbook (Clark Boardman Callaghan, 1995- ).
- Stuart Speiser, et al., Recovery for Wrongful Death (ThomsonWest, 2005- ).
- John McCormac, Wrongful Death in Ohio: With Forms (Anderson Pub. Co. 1982).
ARTICLES ON WRONGFUL DEATH:
- Collier, Steven P., Wrongful Death Hits Home, 12 Ohio Trial 5 (Issue 1, 2002)
- Gradisher, Suzanne M. & Kormanec, Stephanie R., “Other next of kin” and “interested parties” in wrongful death settlements, Stark & Knoll Co., L.P.A. (also found in 20 Probate Law Journal of Ohio 254 (July/Aug., 2010))
- Johnston, Bryan B., The trial lawyer’s duty to the “other next-of-kin” in wrongful death cases: an analysis of Brinkman v. Doughty, 12 Ohio Trial 21 (Issue 2, 2002)
- Scanlon, Lawrence, Filing a wrongful death action without a personal representative-beware, 15 Ohio Trial 10 (Summer 2005)
1 West Lakeside Avenue, FL4 Cleveland, Ohio 44113-1078 Email: email@example.com Phone: (216) 861-5070 Fax: (216) 861-1606
November 14, 2003 -